Sunday, December 4, 2011

Heirloom Tomatoes!

Greetings bloggers,

Julie & Julie.  Sigh.  Have you ever seen it?  If you haven't.  See. It.  You will laugh, cry, and (even if only for a few short moments) you will want to become an amazing cook.  At least, that's what it did for me.  Julia Child was a genius, and her love for food is simply inspiring.

There is one particularly amazing scene in the movie were actress Amy Adams (playing Julie Powell) is making an heirloom tomato bruschetta for her hubby.

Looks even better in action!  


Well I found the 'real' recipe for this amazing bruschetta.  Now whether or not this is the true recipe, I am unsure...but what I do know, is that the recipe I did try was simply amazing :)  Disclaimer: Heirloom tomatoes are amazing, but difficult to find.  I searched everywhere...and was finally able to find them at a 'fancy' HEB.  Hope that helps when you go on your journey :) It's so worth it!  So here it is, now if you're a small eater (as I am) than this recipe makes for a perfect lunch or dinner.  If you're a bigger eater, like my fiance...then this would be a happy appetizer :P  I hope you enjoy, if you try it be sure to let me know what you thought of it, or any variations you made, I'm all about experimentation!

Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta:


-Cut tomatoes into chunks and tear lots of basil leaves into medium-small pieces. In a bowl, toss tomatoes and basil with a good quality olive oil. Marinate for 1 hour at room temperature.

Beauuuutiful!


-Cut bread into slices about 3/4 inch thick
- Pan fry the bread in olive oil  to get it toasted on the outside while retaining some softness in the center. After pan frying, sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
-Season tomato mixture with salt and pepper about a half hour before serving. The salt makes the tomatoes release their juices and you don’t want that happening too soon.
- Top bread with tomato mixture. If the bread is really crunchy, let the tomatoes sit for a few minutes before serving to soften the bread.

Bon Appetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment