Today was Christian's last day at his job of three years. And although he was psyched to leave, there was that inevitable feeling of 'fear of the unknown' as he steps into not only a new job but an entirely new phase of life.
Got me to thinking...
Yesterday as I spoke at Hastings high, a young lady asked me if it was possible to not love someone, yet not want to leave the relationship. I reassured her that is completely normal, as we tend to have a hard time leaving things that have become such a routine and comfort in our life. Even if we don't necessarily want it...we'd rather not leave it, because it's what we know. She looked at me as if she were about to cry when I explained that as she takes steps to begin to take care of herself and live a healthier life, she needs to cut all ties of the relationship and not attempt the doomed to fail method of "trying to be friends". We as women would like to believe that we can break ties with someone we are emotionally tied to, and still be friends, and still get over him at the same time. Maybe this is for men and women alike, but it certainly is not true.
Oh how this mirrors my relationship with God sometimes. There is something in my life I know should not be there (i.e. a stubborn resistance to not let go of anger I've held toward someone for something that occurred years ago). Yet, me and my anger have become such good friends, and I'm emotionally tied and feel I have a right to that anger...and although I know it's best for me to let it go, it's been too much of a companion in my life to quit cold turkey. Yet I stood there and told this young lady that is exactly what she has to do in order to achieve any victory in this area of her life. It can be frustrating how the Holy Spirit used my own advice to this young lady to shed a light in an area of my life that is in desperate need of spring cleaning.
And God reminds me, "He who has ears let him hear." Mathew 11:15
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I recognize wisdom when I hear it...well said.
ReplyDelete